News

Congratulations to AWC Officer Kara Vaillancourt

Congratulations to AWC Officer Kara Vaillancourt, recipient of the National Award for Aspirations in Computing last year! Kara says:
I won the National Award for Aspirations in Computing last year which is an award for high school girls who reflect these characteristics: “Award recipients are selected based on their aptitude and aspirations in technology and computing; leadership ability; academic history; and plans for post-secondary education.” – http://www.aspirations.org/
The NCWIT community is so strong and supportive, its the reason I chose CS as my major. They have kept on supporting me through my college career. This has been through finances; professional and peer mentoring; female-CS social events; job opportunities; a network of strong, determined, technical women, etc.
I do my best to give back wherever I can, participating in discussions, contests, and I even spoke at the ceremony for the Regional VA/DC Affiliate Awards for Aspirations last year at the Regional Grace Hopper Conference. I plan on attending the AiC Summit next summer (if my internship will allow me) and going to meetups at the National Grace Hopper Conference as well.